5/3/2021 11:31:00 AM Racine history about Civil War-era cannon
George Dwight Knox, who served in Company C, the 3rd Minnesota Infantry, during the Civil War, was instrumental in bringing a Civil War-era cannon to Stewartville in the late 1890s. Knox is buried in Hamilton Cemetery in Racine. Jill Helget submitted this photo of Knox’s gravesite.
Awaiting its move to the new Veterans Memorial Park near the south entrance to Stewartville, a refurbished Civil War-era cannon and its wagon wheels sit motionless at a city public works garage. Jason Welter, a public works employee, with help from Jake Burzinski, another public works employee, has put in about 60 hours of work to restore the cannon for its upcoming move. The barrel of the cannon, manufactured in 1864, the second-to-last year of the Civil War, weighs 4,200 pounds. Welter sandblasted the paint off the old barrel, primed it and painted it. With help from Stewartville's Al Chihak, public works employees found wagon wheels on which to mount the barrel of the cannon at an antiques business near Willmar. Working from photographs of what the cannon looked like in the Civil War, Welter restored the barrel and the wheels... For more on this story pick up your copy of the May 4 Stewartville STAR.